Number Theory/Household letters box with mechanical combination Lock.

Question
Dear Prof Scott

Is it possible to design and Construct household letters box with mechanical combination Lock?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Yes, and we have one.  The mailbox is right out in front of our house.  It is a box that also has mailboxes for around a dozen other houses in the neighborhood.  It is opened with keys that the post office supplies.

Now if you want a combination lock, you would have to talk to the post office, for only they are allowed to do any major alterations to the mail box.  Now most mail boxes can have a master lock where the postman just inserts a key to open the box, but for a small self opening door, whatever type of lock can be entered if the post office says it's OK.

Number Theory

Scott A Wilson