Number Theory/Pendulum Wall Clock.

Dear Prof Scott

Is it possible to design and Construct a Pendulum clock where the pendulum can rotate 180 degree?.

No, for the pendulum swings slightly less every time.  I mean, it may start out trying to do 180 by being straight out on one side, but it will quickly lose that potential that when it swings to the other side.  I think the swing rate is determined by a multiple of cos(x) where x is the angle the pendulum swings from straight up and down.  As x approaches 90, the cos(x) approaches 0.  As x stays near 0, the cos(x) stays very close to 1.  As can be seen in calculus, if f(x) = cos(x), f'(x) = -sin(x).  With x near 0, -sin(x) is even closer to 0, so the cos(x) curve is almost level at this point.

Number Theory

Scott A Wilson

I can answer almost anything that is sent in. If I can't, I'll let you know, but I don't expect that to happen much.

I have known about number theory since the mid 80's. I have answered over 250 questions on Number Theory with this software. Altogether, I have answered over 8,500 questions in mathematics.

You're looking at it ... I've answered over 8,500 quesitons in mathematics right here.

My credentials are an MS in Mathematics at Oregon State in 1986; I received a BS in Mathematics at the same place in 1984.

I graduated with honors in Mathematics when getting my BS degree and my MS degree.

I have assisted many students in mathematics at OSU. Perhaps I have assisted one of you're friends in math on a computer somewhere else, but you don't even know... That would be late last night, perhaps with thousands of miles between us ... Then again, if you're in Washington, so am I ...