Number Theory/Sampling

Question
Hello - I am to administer a survey to a group of engineers but the company doesn't have enough resources to administer the survey to all the engineers - so I can only sample the engineers.  What is the equation to determine the number of engineers I need to sample in order to obtain a representative sample?

Answer
Hello wing.
This is not a number theory question, but a statistics one, so you might be best to ask this to a statistics expert.  Basically, you have to decide on the categories, eg gender, seniority, age, qualification level etc. Choose categories where you think the answers may be different.
You probably need a two way table with gender as the columns.  Then when you have found the numbers in each box, you take the same fraction or percentage from each box.  What percentage you take depends on resources available.
Good luck with your survey.
vijilant

Number Theory

Vijilant