Number Theory/Compute exponentiation of two complex numbers.

Dear Prof Vijilant

Can we compute exponentiation of two complex numbers?

Example - 1+2i and 2+3i
I.e 1+2i raised to power of 2+3i

Hello Prashant

I put the expression (1+2i)^(2+3i) into my advanced TI92 calculator and it came up with the answer -.015133 - 0.179867i.  But could I have done that with an ordinary scientific calculator?  The answer of course is yes.  First, the laws of exponentiation.  a^x * a^y = a^(x +y).  (x^m)^n = x^(m+n) will be needed as well as the polar and exponential forms of a complex number and De Moivres theorem.
On the argand diagram x + iy is represented by the point (a,b), but if polar coordinates are used it becomes R(cos(t) + i*sin(t)) where R = (x^2 + y^2)^(1/2) and t = invtan(y/x).  using the Taylor series for sin and cos gives the exponential form R*e^(it).  Theta is the usual angle, but I can't type it so have used t.
Moivres theorem is (cos(t) + i*sin(t))^n = cos(nt) + i*sin(nt) which is easily proved using the exponential form.
We first need the polar form of 1 + 2i.  It is 5^(1/2)*(cos(t) + i*sin(t)) where t = invtan(2).Then
(1+2i)^(2+3i) = ((1+2i)^2)*(1+2i)^(3i).  Using the polar form, and using De Moivre we have
=5(cos(2t)+i*sin(2t)*(5^(3/2)(cos(3t) + i*sin(3t))^i
The only tricky thing left is how to calculate z^i where z is complex.
Let z^i = w.  Then i*ln(z) = ln(w). ln(z) can be calculated using the exponential form. ln(Re^(it)) =  ln(R) + it since exp and ln are inverse functions. and ln(w) = -t+i*ln(R), so w = (e^-t)*e^(i*ln(R))
= e^(-t)*(cos(ln(R) + i*sin(ln(R)).
So  (5^(3/2)(cos(3t) + i*sin(3t))^i becomes e^(-3t)*(cos(ln(5^(3/2)))+i*sin(ln(5^(3/2))))
and our final expression 5(cos(2t)+i*sin(2t)*e^(-3t)*(cos(ln(5^(3/2)))+i*sin(ln(5^(3/2))))
This gives the same as my TI92.
Best wishes

Number Theory

Most questions on number theory, divisibility, primes, Euclidean algorithm, Fermat`s theorem, Wilson`s theorem, factorisation, euclidean algorithm, diophantine equations, Chinese remainder theorem, group theory, congruences, continued fractions.

Teacher of math for 53 years

AQA Doncaster Bridge Club Danum Strings Orchestra Doncaster Conservative Club Danum Strings Orchestra Simply Voices Choir Doncaster TNS mystery shopping St Paul's Music Group Cantley

Journal of mathematics and its applications M500 magazine

BSc (Hons) Liverpool (Science). BA (Hons) OU (Mathematics)

State Scholarship 1955 Highest Score in Yorkshire on OU course MST209 50 prize First class honours in OU BA Mathematics

I taught John Birt, former Director of the BBC in 1961. His homework book was the most perfect I have ever marked. And also the most neat. I could tell he was destined for great things. One of my classmates was the poet Roger McGough, and I have a mention in his autobiography.