Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care/My Mom s behavior

Question
Mom is 82. Is in a long term care with Dad. She recently has  started to put her hands in the toilet while she is having a bowel movement. Then she has feces on her hand. She has Alzheimer we've beentold. She is  not  totally disoriented. I expected her to do this at some point in time but not now. I worked in a  nursing home 30 yrs ago. Is this normal for her @ this time

Answer
Hello Gayla and thanks for writing,

I always try to look for the reason behind the behaviour ... why might she want to touch her feces.  My first guess would be discomfort so I would watch for signs of constipation and/or hemmorrhoids.  I have had clients with dementia inspect their feces because they were sure they felt metal in it.  

Try adding some foods and/or mild supplements that will help soften her BMs.  I always like to try the healthiest options so I would recommend trying a tablespoon of Fruit Lax with breakfast & supper(recipe below) and encourage good fluid intake as constipation is just dehydrated BMs.

FRUIT LAX
BLEND IN BLENDER:
1 CUP COOKED PRUNES
1 CUP COOKED RAISINS
1 CUP COOKED DATES
1 CUP ORANGE JUICE

USE UP TO 3 TABLESPOONS A DAY
LASTS UP TO 2 MONTHS IN FRIDGE

If she has hemmorrhoids or you see any tinges of red blood near her anus, use a Preparation H ointment to provide topical comfort.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.

Margot

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care

Margot RN BScN GNC