Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care/Qualification for Home Health Care Provider

I'm in Georgia.  The situation is in North Carolina.  I wanted to know the qualification for in home health care provider and how the payment arrangements are determined.  

I had a situation in that a lawyer determined that my sister, who had a drug dependency problem (just got of rehab), should care take my mother. This is correct a lawyer hired her to caretake my mother.  I was unware of this odd selection.  My position is this wasn't a sound decision because she had no medical training, has a drug problem and far as I know the attorney didn't issue a W-2 or 1099.
so what the qualification for in home health care.

thanks in advance

Good evening.
You are correct.  I do believe that the situation with the lawyer choosing your sister is an odd selection.  
To answer your question, if a caregiver is hired by an agency to provide home care to a senior the person usually has passed a drug test (with no indication of having used any sort of drugs), passed a criminal background check (with no indication of any questionable activity or arrests/convictions on their record) and has had professional references checked demonstrating a good work history and work ethic.  This is for a home care worker (sometimes also known as a personal care attendant).  This service is for non-licensed workers, but many states have laws requiring the appropriateness of the Caregivers that work with the elderly.  

For a home health worker - that is a medical service, provided by a Home Health agency.  This type of employee would be a nurse (RN, or LPN) or CNA (Certified Nurse Aid, or Assistant). This Home Health service is provided by a licensed agency and has licensed workers.   

I hope this information helps you to move forward in resolving this situation for your mom.  If you have any further questions, you are welcome to contact me at:

My best to you as you help your mom through this time in her life.  

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care

Ginelle LeBlanc, CSA

I can answer questions regarding home care solutions for seniors, in home care scheduling and care giver solutions, funding sources for home care, how to find a quality Care Giver, what questions to ask when interviewing a caregiver for home care, how to solve home care problems. All things related to caring for a senior at home, and the caregivers taking care of a senior. Additionally for those who own a home care business, I can help answer questions regarding the start up and operations of a home care business for seniors.

I am a Certified Senior Advisor (CSA) accreditied to help seniors and thier families to find the best solutions for their needs. I owned and operated a Home Care service for Seniors for 6 years and was able to help nearly 1,000 families find the best caregiver match for their parents, or senior loved one. I have supervised a staff of caregivers providing care in private homes, assisted living facilities, hospitals and nursing homes. I continued in the Senior Care/Home Care Industry as Regional Director of Training for Comfort Keepers providing training and operational support to 10 offices in the Gulf South Region. I now have 12 years in this field. I now own and operate my own Senior Care Consulting business, GL Consulting, LLC (

Graduated from Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, Louisiana. I am a CSA (Certified Senior Advisor).