Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care/96 years old grandma,

Question
My 96 years old grandma had a fall on  Dec. 13, 2012 and we were told she has a fractured skull. She spent her 2 weeks on bed and tube fed for the first 3 days. After that  she has been given  ensure and water  since then. The first two weeks she has difficulty swallowing but her swallowing ability improved. This week she swallows better and she was asking for solid food. Can she be given soft solid food after weeks of having just  ensure and water? Can her system  take that change of diet?  Many thanks, your advice is appreciated.

Answer
Hello Teresita,

You really need to ask her doctor for a Swallowing Assessment, it's really not something I can guess at without examining your Grandma in person.  There are many things to consider such as her gag reflex, pocketing food in her cheeks, do fluids need to be thickened, would she still require supplemental calories if she did return to a regular diet, etc ...

Please do not hesitate to write again if you have any additional questions.

Wishing you all the best,
Margot

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care

Margot RN BScN GNC