Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care/Patient to staff ratio

Question
I WORK IN A LONG TERM CARE FACILITY IN KY. WE HAVE 2 NURSE AIDES TO 45 PATIENTS. WE CAN'T POSSIBLE DO WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO DO. WE ARE ALSO SUPPOSE TO GET THE PT UP ABOUT 3:30 FOR SHOWER AND GET UP IN THE W/C. SO WITH THAT SAID I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS. WHAT IS THE PATIENT/STAFF RATIO FOR KENTUCKY AND IS THIS AGAINST THE LAW TO GET THESE PEOPLE UP AT 3:30 FOR SHOWER THEN GO IN THE CHAIR?? I AM REALLY DISTURBED BY THIS AND WANT SO ANSWER WHICH THE NURSING HOME DEPARTMENT HEADS WILL NOT GIVE ME. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

Answer
Courtney, Good Morning.  Thank you for your question.  I can appreciate that you are concerned about your residents and their proper care.  I, unfortunately find the concerns that you are expressing are not uncommon.  
While I do not know the Kentucky patient to staff ratio for Long Term Care facilities, I think I can point you in the right direction to get the exact information that you are seeking.
Every Long Term Care facility is licensed by the state that they operate in.  So, Kentucky is licensing the long term care facility that you are working in.  And the licensing regulations determine the staff to patient ratio.  This is clearly spelled out in the the licensing regulations.  You can usually view these on line or get a copy mailed to you to review.  

I looked on line and found the department for licensing for health facilities.  First I looked up state of Kentucky, then I searched for agencies.  I found "Public Health".  Then under Public Health, found "Division of Health Care".  This is the Department that issues that licenses and regulates licensed facilities.  Here is the phone number:  (502) 564-7963.  I would start there.  I would call them and ask how to find the regulations for you to view on line.  If not available on line, you could ask if a copy be mailed to you.  While you are on the line, you could also ask what is the process for a complaint.  If you find after reviewing the regulations that you do have an avenue to initiate a complaint to the state you will have the process to do just that.  Or if you find that you are able to take this information to your supervisor to have it addressed without fear of losing your job, you may do that also.  

I hope this information is helpful to you in your quest to address the staff to resident ratio, and the time that showering and having the residents up for the day is accomplished.  My best to you in this effort.  Please do not hesitate to contact me back if you have further questions.  

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care

Ginelle LeBlanc, CSA