Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care/hrly costs

looks like there us no rate for the question of cost on the website. Can you provide estimate for 24 hr rn for a patient who is not bedridden in thousand oaks ca?

Hello Robyn and thank you for writing,

I can only quote the typical costs in my area (Vancouver, BC, Canada) for private home care. The average rates up here are:

Homemaker          $18-$21/hr
Companion          $19-$22/hr
Home Support Worker   $21-$25/hr
Live-In HSW         $150-250/day (which includes the Caregiver sleeping at night)
LPN          $35-$40/hr
RN          $50-$60/hr

Publicly-funded Home Support can cost $0-$45/hr depending on your income.

My advice is to go with an established company, and one that has Nurses in charge.  In the past five years there have been dozens of franchises flood the Home Healthcare market and any Joe or Jane with the required buy-in fee can own an agency.  Don't choose the cheapest rate as you'll likely not get properly qualified Caregivers, nor do you need to choose the most expensive rate to pay for some fancy new gimmick (like all staff carrying iPads) which does not affect the level of care your loved-one will receive.  Meet with several local agencies and see which feels best, which one offers the best advice, and who seems to know what they're doing.  Ask questions like "if I have a concern at 2:00 am and call the agency, will I speak with someone I know, and someone who is familiar with our case, or will I get an answering service"?

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best,

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care

Margot RN BScN GNC

GERONTOLOGY (NURSING ISSUES RELATED TO THE ELDERLY) I have 25+ years experience working with the elderly. I would be pleased to offer any assistance I can. My areas of expertise include: Gerontology / Geriatrics, Long Term Care, Community Nursing, Palliative Care, Private Nursing Services, Intermediate / Extended Care. I also have a personal interest in Homeopathic and Eastern Medicine. If I can not answer your question I`ll do my best to direct you to an appropriate resource. Thank you.

I have twenty years experience in Gerontological Nursing both in the community, and in Long Term Care. I have worked as a General Duty Nurse, a Nurse Manager, and a Nursing Consultant in Long Term Care and Community Nursing.I have a great deal of experience working with, assessing, and educating in the field of Gerontology (Nursing the Elderly). I am familiar with the challenges associated with Dementia (Alzheimer's), Chronic and Terminal illnesses.
Experience in the area
20 years of Long Term Care and Community Nursing, specialising in Geriatrics, Gerontology and Palliative Care.

Registered Nurse , Certified Gerontological Nurse, Bachelor of Science in Nursing