You are here:

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care/Attempted Nursing home transfer assisted living facility


QUESTION: Re: Attempted Nursing home transfer assisted living facility

My father, 85, has been in a NYC nursing home for 4 years.  The new owners are in the process of transferring out many residents against their wishes.  
They stated that they want all the "independent" residents transferred out.  My father can walk with the assistant of a cane, but it is serverly limited He is on more medications than ever and his back pain has increased and of course has spinal disks deteriorated more so over the years.  Do I have any recourse?



ANSWER: Thomas,
Good Morning.  You mentioned that your Dad is in a nursing home.  The great news for you and your father is that all residents in licensed facilities have access to a legal advocate called an Ombudsman.  This is a person who is an expert provided at no cost to the resident or the resident's family, who will make sure that their legal rights are protected.

Here is a link to the Ombudsmen in New York:
It appears you can search for the Ombudsman to contact based on location.

This person is going to give you specific advice related to the laws of New York State and if appropriate will protect your father's legal right to stay in that licensed facility.

My best to you as you help your father through this time.  Please do not hesitate to contact me back if I may be of further assistance.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Ms. LeBlanc,
thanks for the reply.  I tried sending Ms. Paula Goolcharan, the Ombudsmen for NYC, and her assistant, several emails concerning this weeks ago.  I never got a reply from her.  Any other ideas?

Many thanks for your help.


If you have not heard back from your designated Ombudsman, I would contact the Mark Miller who is over all of the Ombudsman for NY state.  His number is:  1-800-342-9871.

If you are unable to get the help you need there, I would escalate the problem to The Office for the Aging for the State of NY by either calling the Senior Citizens Help Line at 1-800-342-9871 or calling the general number for that same State Office:  800-342-9871.

The law requires that you are provided an Ombudsman at no charge to advocate for your Dad's legal rights.  These offices should be able to help you with getting you connected.

I hope this helps!  

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ginelle LeBlanc, CSA


I can answer questions regarding home care solutions for seniors, in home care scheduling and care giver solutions, funding sources for home care, how to find a quality Care Giver, what questions to ask when interviewing a caregiver for home care, how to solve home care problems. All things related to caring for a senior at home, and the caregivers taking care of a senior. Additionally for those who own a home care business, I can help answer questions regarding the start up and operations of a home care business for seniors.


I am a Certified Senior Advisor (CSA) accreditied to help seniors and thier families to find the best solutions for their needs. I owned and operated a Home Care service for Seniors for 6 years and was able to help nearly 1,000 families find the best caregiver match for their parents, or senior loved one. I have supervised a staff of caregivers providing care in private homes, assisted living facilities, hospitals and nursing homes. I continued in the Senior Care/Home Care Industry as Regional Director of Training for Comfort Keepers providing training and operational support to 10 offices in the Gulf South Region. I now have 12 years in this field. I now own and operate my own Senior Care Consulting business, GL Consulting, LLC (

Graduated from Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, Louisiana. I am a CSA (Certified Senior Advisor).

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]