Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care/nail care

Question
Are Activity Assistants allowed to trim fingernails on residents who are not diabetics?

Answer
Cyndi,
Good evening.  Please excuse my delay in getting back with you. Unfortunately, I was on travel and away from the internet.  However, I appreciate your question and hope to help.  I am not sure of the job description of an Activity Assistant.  Maybe some clarification on this issue of nail care could come by asking to read the job description.  If no reference is made to this issue in the job description, you could ask for further clarification by management.  

However, I would also mention that many time regardless of the job title trimming or cutting of nails is not usually done except by those who are professionals (salon workers who are licensed to provide nail care or medical professionals) due the many health risks and complications that are present with working with seniors and their fragile systems.  

I may be able to help further with more information.  Are you in this position and uncomfortable providing this service?  Or are you being restricted from providing this service and feel that this is unnecessary?  

Thank you for taking the time to give more information.  

Nursing Home/Long Term Care/Home Care

Ginelle LeBlanc, CSA