Nutrition & Dieting/1-2 pounds a week

Im 26, 5ft 4 and weigh 156 pounds. Ive been on and off a couple of diets since last year and lost around 10 kilos in total. By diets I mean cutting down on sugary stuff and starchy carbs and replacing it with veg and brown rice.

Ive started the atkins, lost a few pounds but its really difficult to stick with. I cut out all carbs but didnít really want to go into it too much by counting the carbs in the veg, but when I did I was easily consuming 30g+ carbs a day. Cutting out the salad and the veg even more just seems ridiculous to me! So Im off that!

The problem is, I need to lose about 23 pounds to be my ideal weight for my height. Ive always pretty much been this weight. And since 2009 it piled on due to my pregnancy. I got pregnant again after two months of having my first child!! So my weight in 2011 hit 198lbs!!

Can you please advise me how I can lose 1-2 pounds a week. I need to hit my goal hopefully by May as I have a special event coming up.

I am unable to go to the gym as my other half works long hours and I have no other help. And I am unable to exercise at home as my kids are 1 year apart so I have no time for myself whatsoever. How can I lose weight with my diet? How many calories should I be consuming to achieve this. And can you advise me what I should be eating? I generally eat healthy, veg stir fries, brown rice, eggs.
Thank you in advance.

You NEED to get some exercise. The "I don't have time to exercise" excuse is crap. You can take 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there to do a little light weight lifting. Do a few pushups and squats here and there. Get yourself some 5 or 10 pound dumbbells and bust out a few curls.

BUILDING MUSCLE is the best way to BURN FAT. Diet is only HALF the equation.

As far as fad diets like Adkins go, I've never been a fan of them. You NEED carbs for fuel to power your workouts.

For the specifics on what I recommend, read up on my web site:

Nutrition & Dieting

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions from those who are overweight and want to learn how to lose weight through proper diet and exercise. I spent a year of my life studying weight loss and brought myself from 340 pounds down to a healthy 185 pounds the RIGHT way: no fad diets, pills, or crazy machines - just healthy eating and some moderate exercise. I'm happy to share my knowledge with you. I also have my own web site at

My knowledge is all practical, life experience. I spent over a year reading dozens of books, online literature, magazines, and lots of other sources. I've studied nutrition, weight-lifting, bodybuilding, exercise science, and many other fitness-related fields.

I have no formal education in fitness or nutrition. But, then again, I am a computer programmer and trainer with no formal education in my field either. I'm completely self-taught in everything I do. However, I can give you plenty of tips and pointers on how to safely lose weight.