Nutrition & Dieting/How to shift the weight without the gym

Question

Im 26, 5ft 4 and weigh 156 pounds. Ive been on and off a couple of diets since last year and lost around 10 kilos in total. By diets I mean cutting down on sugary stuff and starchy carbs and replacing it with veg and brown rice.

Ive started the atkins, lost a few pounds but its really difficult to stick with. I cut out all carbs but didn’t really want to go into it too much by counting the carbs in the veg, but when I did I was easily consuming 30g+ carbs a day. Cutting out the salad and the veg even more just seems ridiculous to me! So Im off that!

The problem is, I need to lose about 23 pounds to be my ideal weight for my height. Ive always pretty much been this weight. And since 2009 it piled on due to my pregnancy. I got pregnant again after two months of having my first child!! So my weight in 2011 hit 198lbs!!

Can you please advise me how I can lose 1-2 pounds a week. I need to hit my goal hopefully by May as I have a special event coming up.

I am unable to go to the gym as my other half works long hours and I have no other help. And I am unable to exercise at home as my kids are 1 year apart so I have no time for myself whatsoever. How can I lose weight with my diet? How many calories should I be consuming to achieve this. And can you advise me what I should be eating? I generally eat healthy, veg stir fries, brown rice, eggs.
Thank you in advance.

Yasmin

Answer
Hi Yasmin,

Great question!

You don't need to count calories in order to lose 1-2 pounds a week steadily. It's just about eating whole foods that are unprocessed that will allow your body to naturally burn fat rather than processed foods that cause your body to store fat.

Two people could both be eating 2500 calories a day but one person is eating salads and veggies and the other person is just eating french fries, cookies, crackers and cake - which one do you think will lose weight and which one will gain weight? It's obvious! The person eating junk food. I mean, have you ever seen someone complaining about their weight saying, "I ate too many vegetables!" Of course not!

You see, whole foods like fruits, veggies, berries, whole grains, legumes (beans, nuts and seeds are all natural foods packed with tens of thousands of antioxidants and phytonutrients that not only help you lose weight but also reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and much more.

The problem is that 90% of the food in grocery stores is now processed food that comes in wrappers, cans, bottles, and plastic. This food is "DEAD" food - there are no enzymes and very little antioxidants or nutrients left, if any, from the former food it once was.

The key to losing weight is to eat as much whole foods as you can and avoid processed foods - especially the sugary foods like you mentioned, things like soda pop, cookies, crackers, chips, white rice and white flour.

There's A LOT more to it and you can get more information on inflammation and weight loss, Omega-3 fats, Vitamin D and much more in the newsletter for free at www.AuthenticHealthCoaching.com

I hope that helps!

Wishing you wellness,
Tom

Nutrition & Dieting

Tom Corson-Knowles