Nutrition & Dieting/calorie intake

Hi.  Can you tell me if it's really necessary to consume 2000 calories a day in order to be healthy?  I've noticed that on most food labels, the nutrition info is listed for those that consume 2000 calories a day.  I mean, is it possible to consume 1600 or 1800 calories a day, exercise and be healthy?  Thanks

Hi Danielle,

Good question!

You're right in thinking that it's NOT necessary to eat 2000 calories a day. That's just the guideline for the "average" person and so far I haven't met an average person. Each one of us is different and our bodies need different amounts of food and nutrition. Not only that, but our bodies change in cycles which is why some days you might feel like a pig as you scarf down everything you see and other days you just don't feel like eating that much at all.

There is no specific number of calories you need to eat every day or on any given day. The best you can do is just eat as healthy a diet as possible loaded with fresh fruits, vegetables and berries and other whole foods. Your body will tell you if you need to eat more or less.

I hope that helps!

Wishing you wellness,

P.S. You can get access to our free newsletter with nutrition tips at

Nutrition & Dieting

Tom Corson-Knowles

Anything about weight loss diets and nutrition, general nutrition questions, popular diet programs, low calorie programs, low carb diets, etc.

I've been a nutrition and health coach for 5 years and run a popular natural weight loss blog, podcast show and membership site. I own a health coaching firm with both my parents who are M.D.s and we all regularly speak on nutrition and weight loss.

Publications, Numerous health and wellness blogs, health newsletters, GLAM Media

B.S. Entrepreneurship

Client confidentiality prevents me from listing names of clients. Here are some Testimonials that I have permission to release: “Tom’s presentation on nutrition blew me away! I’ve never learned so much in such a short amount of time about health. Thanks Tom!!” – Yung Vay, Cupertino, CA “Tom is a highly motivated person who is interested in helping others achieve their dreams. He supports others to achieve positive outcomes with their health and financial goals. If you want to be healthy and wealthy, work with Tom!” – Beth Tobin, Social Worker “Tom Corson-Knowles is an enterprising, transformational young man” – Rosemarie Ashley, founder of Gen-Ray Records “Tom has great knowledge and experience in the field of whole food nutrition. He understands the relationship between whole food nutrition and disease prevention.” – Carolyn Russ, Juice Plus+ Distributor “[Tom] did an AMAZING job…he is so gifted.” – Carol Watson, Naturopathic Doctor “Tom is a motivated go-getter. He is organized and passionate about his interests in wellness. He is dependable which I, another professional, highly value. Plus he is friendly and easy to talk to.” – Ann Smith, EFT Master Practitioner “Tom is so passionate and knowledgeable about what he does! He gave me hands-on advice about nutrition and health that I could use right away. Plus, the samples he gave us (yay samples!) were delicious and gave me a sense of well-being that can only come from nourishing food. I couldn’t resist his offer!” – Kate Kyle, Los Angeles, CA