Nutrition & Dieting/Cereal bars

Question
Hi there

I am trying to find a healthy but filling cereal bar to snack on at work, but I am struggling to find ones that are natural, without loads of additives. I have discovered a couple, but they seem to be very high in sugar content, which I don't think can be good, even if it is 'natural' sugar from fruit. Could you have a look and tell me what you think? The bar I have in mind has the following ingredients:

Dates (38%), Peanuts (12%), Raisins (12%), Oats (12%), soya crispies (10%), Apple juice concentrate (8%), Peanut butter (7%), Maize starch, Gingko biloba extract, Ginseng extract, Natural flavouring

And the following nutrional info per 68g bar:

Energy  - 239 kcal    
Protein - 11 g    
Carbohydrate -   33g    
(of which sugars)  -    26 g    
Fat    8 g    
(of which saturates)    1 g    
Fibre    5 g    
Sodium    <0.1g    

Does this sound ok to you? I tend to eat quite a bit of fruit and low fat dairy so I'm concerned my sugar intake will be too high if I start eating these too!!!

Thank you :)

Answer
Hi Lilly,
Keep in mind, all sugar  isn't bad!
It's just that many people eat too much plain sugar (read, empty calories) in candy and soda.

When you eat fruits you're getting vitamins, minerals and fiber too!
And if there wasn't sugar in the energy bar, where would the energy come from? Too much protein would be a waste, and fats tend to make you feel a bit sluggish.

This bar looks like a good choice to me!
The other option is making your own bars, and you can find recipes on the Internet.

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD