Nutrition & Dieting/weight loss

Dear Richard Rost, i am a 17-year old girl, I weigh 58 kilos and my height is 162 cm. Last year, I lost about 8 kilos in 5 months (I was 65 kilos) with lots of rough exercising (every day running, calisthenics workouts and tennis) and a little bit of dieting. I stopped working out and dieting when summer started and now I want to lose about 5-kilos as soon as possible. The thing is that I have to study a lot and I don't have the time to exercise like I did last year. I thought that consuming 1050 calories until Christmas and exercising (every day calisthenics, intense stair climbing and twice a week tennis) I would have reached my ideal weight. So, I have started this diet 15 days ago and now I'm thinking "oh my god what am i doing". I know that 1050 calories arent enough and that not only my metabolism will slow down but also I wont have the energy to study. I would like to know my daily calorie intake and how long will it take to reach that goal. I would appreciate it if you could help me. I'm looking forward to your reply, Iris

You don't have to spend 2 hours a day working out, but you should strive for at least 20 minutes a day of exercise. Anybody who tells me that they can't find 20 minutes in a day isn't managing their time efficiently. You're right though... 1050 cal is not enough for most people. Focus on eating the RIGHT calories too... lots of lean protein, healthy fats, and green veggies.

Nutrition & Dieting

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions from those who are overweight and want to learn how to lose weight through proper diet and exercise. I spent a year of my life studying weight loss and brought myself from 340 pounds down to a healthy 185 pounds the RIGHT way: no fad diets, pills, or crazy machines - just healthy eating and some moderate exercise. I'm happy to share my knowledge with you. I also have my own web site at

My knowledge is all practical, life experience. I spent over a year reading dozens of books, online literature, magazines, and lots of other sources. I've studied nutrition, weight-lifting, bodybuilding, exercise science, and many other fitness-related fields.

I have no formal education in fitness or nutrition. But, then again, I am a computer programmer and trainer with no formal education in my field either. I'm completely self-taught in everything I do. However, I can give you plenty of tips and pointers on how to safely lose weight.