Nutrition & Dieting/calorie intake

QUESTION: Hi.  I looked at a calorie calculator online to determine how many calories I should consume each day and it mentioned 1800 as being ideal.  I am 5'6" and currently weigh 118 lbs.  My question is, if I am full after 1600 calories, should I continue consuming food or beverages so I can get to 1800 calories everyday?  1600 calories is usually enough for me.  Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Danielle,

If you're body tells you its full, you should stop eating. Your body will let you know if you need more food. And it will change, too. Some days you'll want to eat more, and some days you'll eat even less. Our bodies all go through cycles so that's natural.

I hope that helps!

QUESTION: I have another question.  If someone consumes 1600 calories in a day, but they burned 300 calories during a workout, does that mean they only consumed 1300 calories that day?

ANSWER: No, you still consumed 1600, you just burned 300 during the workout.

QUESTION: When someone tones fat on their body, does that cause the numbers to go up on the scale?  Or, does toning not cause weight gain?

There's no such thing as toning fat. You tone muscle by working out with weights or doing strenuous physical activity. Generally, you gain weight first as your muscle grows and then lose weight over time as your fat loss exceeds your muscle gain. Since muscle is denser than fat, this causes an initial weight gain or, more often, your weight stays about the same as muscle grows and fat is burned.

Nutrition & Dieting

Tom Corson-Knowles

Anything about weight loss diets and nutrition, general nutrition questions, popular diet programs, low calorie programs, low carb diets, etc.

I've been a nutrition and health coach for 5 years and run a popular natural weight loss blog, podcast show and membership site. I own a health coaching firm with both my parents who are M.D.s and we all regularly speak on nutrition and weight loss.

Publications, Numerous health and wellness blogs, health newsletters, GLAM Media

B.S. Entrepreneurship

Client confidentiality prevents me from listing names of clients. Here are some Testimonials that I have permission to release: “Tom’s presentation on nutrition blew me away! I’ve never learned so much in such a short amount of time about health. Thanks Tom!!” – Yung Vay, Cupertino, CA “Tom is a highly motivated person who is interested in helping others achieve their dreams. He supports others to achieve positive outcomes with their health and financial goals. If you want to be healthy and wealthy, work with Tom!” – Beth Tobin, Social Worker “Tom Corson-Knowles is an enterprising, transformational young man” – Rosemarie Ashley, founder of Gen-Ray Records “Tom has great knowledge and experience in the field of whole food nutrition. He understands the relationship between whole food nutrition and disease prevention.” – Carolyn Russ, Juice Plus+ Distributor “[Tom] did an AMAZING job…he is so gifted.” – Carol Watson, Naturopathic Doctor “Tom is a motivated go-getter. He is organized and passionate about his interests in wellness. He is dependable which I, another professional, highly value. Plus he is friendly and easy to talk to.” – Ann Smith, EFT Master Practitioner “Tom is so passionate and knowledgeable about what he does! He gave me hands-on advice about nutrition and health that I could use right away. Plus, the samples he gave us (yay samples!) were delicious and gave me a sense of well-being that can only come from nourishing food. I couldn’t resist his offer!” – Kate Kyle, Los Angeles, CA