Nutrition & Dieting/Weight Loss

Question
Hello ma'am,

Brief desription of me: Im 31 y/0, 205 lbs, Male and im trying to lose 35 pounds. I had been using an app on my phone, My fitness pal, but I always forget to input data and it doesnt work for me. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do Cardio(Treadmill 15 min, eliptical 15 min) and Ill play a pick-up game of Bball for 30 min, then heat suana for 15 min. The hardest part is losing the weight and knowing what foods to eat, and a adequate meal plan.

I also have medical conditions that make it hard(Low Testosterone, cyst on tyroid ect). Not making excuses, but it is harder to lose weight.

So basically, I would like to know a good weekly meal plan or any other way I can lose 35 lbs. I would like to do this within 3-5 months. Thank you so much!

Answer
Scott, you can find lots of meal plans online, or try weight watchers. About 1800-2000 calories will usually be a good level for men to lose weight.
If you want an individualized meal plan, you can make an appointment with a local dietitian who can sit down with you and review your usual eating pattern, food preferences, etc. most hospitals have an outpatient dietitian who can see you.

Give this some thought, though-- if putting your food intake into the app didn't work for you, do you think having a meal plan somehow will?

It's going to take some serious dedication and making this a priority for you to get results.

Myplate.gov is a good resource for healthy eating, and the DASH diet is super! Here is the link http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

Good luck!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD