Nutrition & Dieting/Weight Loss

Brief desription of me: Im 31 y/0, 205 lbs, Male and im trying to lose 35 pounds. I had been using an app on my phone, My fitness pal, but I always forget to input data and it doesnt work for me. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do Cardio(Treadmill 15 min, eliptical 15 min) and Ill play a pick-up game of Bball for 30 min, then heat suana for 15 min. The hardest part is losing the weight and knowing what foods to eat, and a adequate meal plan.

I also have medical conditions that make it hard(Low Testosterone, cyst on tyroid ect). Not making excuses, but it is harder to lose weight.

So basically, I would like to know a good weekly meal plan or any other way I can lose 35 lbs. I would like to do this within 3-5 months. Thank you so much!

Hi Scott!

First of all, I want to acknowledge you for taking steps to increase your health and fitness. Secondly, it is so important to know your limitations as well as the hurdles that we have within our own fitness, such as the conditions that you listed. As you have implied, having them does not stop us, it simply forces us to find a way that works. While it is difficult to give an exact work out or nutrition plan, I can give you some general ideas. It sometimes takes a few sessions with my clients to create a program and goal set.

I would like to begin by giving a brief list of concepts that are important to fat loss:

Focus should be on fat percentage, not weight. Your gym should be able to test that for you using skin calipers. Doing this will allow you to get a true understanding of your body composition as you gain muscle. I do not recommend biometric impedance, unless that is all you have, because it measures with more emphasis on the area that you test, such as the upper or lower body.
       With regard to exercise, generally 30-minutes per day is needed for cardiovascular fitness and health, 60-minutes per day is needed for weight maintenance, and more than 60-minutes per day is need for weight loss.
       Because muscle gain is important to weight loss by increasing metabolism any program should have a weight training component.
       Aerobic exercise is cumulative. This means that your number of minutes exercised can be spread over the course of the day. For example, 60-minutes can be separated into 2-30 minute workouts or 4-15 minute workouts and still be effective.
       When it comes to fat loss, there must be a commitment to both exercise and diet. Without a commitment to both, fat loss will be halted or significantly reduced.

My general recommendations for an individual attempting to burn fat is as follows:

Utilize a strength training program for lean muscle that is based on high rep, low weight interval training or circuit training for 60-minutes 2-3 times per week. This allows for fat burning while increasing lean muscle. More focused muscle building can come once the lean goal is met. BodyPump is a fantastic example of this type of program.
       Utilize a high energy, moderate intensity aerobic style with explosions 3 times per week for a total of 30-60 minutes, on days in which the strength training is not being done. Insanity is an example of this type of program.
       Try to exercise in the morning before eating, if physically possible. If not, allow one hour before or one hour after eating. Some individuals cannot physically do this and need a small amount of carbohydrate before or after. I use glucose tablets mid-workout sometimes, if I notice that my body is not providing enough energy. Typically, I begin to notice a slight lightheadedness, which leads me to the conclusion that my body does not have enough energy.
       Eat a diet high in fiber with a minimum of 35 grams of fiber. This can be accomplished with legumes and/or fiber supplements, such as psyllium husks and flax seed. Keep in mind flax seeds are high in fat and should not be consumed liberally.
       If you utilize a high protein diet, do not use it for more than 6 months. In addition, attempt to get the high protein from low saturated fat forms of protein, such as whey and legumes. The Paleo Diet is possibly a healthy example of the high protein diet.
       Pay attention to the fat that is eaten by keeping fat calories within 25% of your calories. Most food labels indicate fat calories, which are equal to 9 times the number of grams of fat.
       Keep your carbohydrates as close to complex as possible by eliminating added sugars. This allows your body to have increased fiber while allowing the sugars to be slowly released into the bloodstream for better utilization by the body and slower storage.
       The easiest way to eat for fat loss is home cooked foods. Limit boxes and cans to items that have ingredients that are food only with no added chemicals, sodium, fats, sugars, etc. For example, a can of stewed tomatoes with tomatoes and water as the only ingredients.

It is difficult to add a full program into life as one whole program and stick to it for the long term. Some individuals can do it, while others cannot. It is perfectly acceptable to list the final goals as steps and layer the program slowly in a way that allows for mastery of the small goal sets. In this way, an individual can continue to work on the final goal of fat loss while at the same time increasing the mental and physical ability to stay continuously committed without the burnout that stems from taking on too much change at one time. However, at a minimum do something each day, even if it simply 15 minutes of exercise or nutrition changes.

I hope this helps. Enjoy yourself and your life. It sounds like you are on the right track for a healthy way of being.

Nutrition & Dieting

Laura Ray, BS Nutrition, Certified Wellness Coach

Please only individuals over the age of 18 years. I have no expertise in adolescent nutrition. Also, this is not a forum in which I am able to create an individual or general diet plan. I will answer general questions. I can answer directly to questions regarding the use of nutrition and exercise to weight loss in women particularly as it relates to the following: yo-yo dieting, lifestyle change, hormonal changes, menopause, perimenopause, metabolic disorders, age related fat accumulation, HCG dieting, Dr. Simeon, nutritional changes geared toward health, coaching as it relates to weight loss, finding affordable nutrition plans, why diets do not work, and complete wellness programs.

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition, am certified in Wellness Coaching by Wellcoaches, and live what I teach.

Bachelor of Science Nutrition, Certified in Wellness Coaching