Nutrition & Dieting/Dietitian

Question
Hello. My question isnt about weight loss but on your career. I've been thinking about wanting to be a dietitian and I want to know why you chose to be one, how long it took to be one, and how you enjoy being one. Thank you

Answer
Hi Leana,

Well, that's quite a question! You might get some more information from this video made by dietitians, too. http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=6442472602#.UONokW_Acph

I chose to be one because I was interested in physiology: I was curious to know what your liver does, how your kidneys work, and what happens in the digestive system. Some dietitians are interested in foods and diets, but that wasn't the case with me. I enjoyed my biochemistry and physiology courses, learning about how the body works, from breathing, to illnesses, to healthy living.

It takes 4 years of college and a one-year internship (there may be a few programs left in the country where you can do your internship as part of your undergrad work, as I did, and then you can start working pretty much right after college--it's called a Coordinated Undergraduate Program, or CUP).

I've enjoyed ALL of my jobs, and after nearly 30 years I've had a lot of them! I've worked in hospitals, nursing homes, home health, and dialysis units. I've worked in doctors offices and taught at universities. I have my own practice now specializing in helping people lose weight (www.mycoachlaurie.com) and I write blogs (askthedietcoach.blogspot.com). I was a traveling speaker for a year or so, and worked for a company that helped inspect the kitchens in chain restaurants for another year. I'm currently studying for a certification called LEAP where we help people identify trigger foods for migraine headaches and irritable bowel.

I love being able to help people who are sick. I teach them the best foods to eat so they can lose weight, lower their cholesterol, control their blood sugar, or have a healthy pregnancy.

If you want to talk more or have specific questions or are on the fence about this decision, please give me a call! I would love to talk more about it. My number is 618-622-1963. I'm in central time and would appreciate a call between 9 am and 4 pm if you can. If you want to visit a local dietitian let me know where you live and I'll try to find someone you can job-shadow one day!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD