Nutrition & Dieting/Losing weight

Question
Hello, my name is Amanda I'm 20 years old and I want to lose weight. I'm 5'2 and 250 pounds and I'm a borderline diebetic so I really need to lose weight. I can't really exercise in the winter because of other health issues but I was wondering if I cut down to 100 calories per day will I lose weight within a week or so?

Answer
Hi Amanda,

The key to losing weight is to burn more calories than you eat.
A woman your age and weight probably burns close to 2200 calories per day. If you cut back to 1700 or 1800 calories per day you'll lose about a pound a week. That's the way it's supposed to work--gradually.
If you cut down to 100 calories per day you will be starving, using your muscles for your body's energy (a bad thing--you only want to burn fat, and not muscle), your body will start to conserve energy and you won't be able to lose weight easily anymore. And that's on top of becoming malnourished because you can't get the nutrition you need in 100 calories a day.

Look at the site, myplate.gov for instructions, guidelines, and recommendations on a healthy weight loss diet. Other sites, like sparkpeople.com help you build a healthy weight loss plan and track your progress.

Let me know how it's going!
Laurie

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD