Nutrition & Dieting/Losing weight

Hello, my name is Amanda I'm 20 years old and I want to lose weight. I'm 5'2 and 250 pounds and I'm a borderline diebetic so I really need to lose weight. I can't really exercise in the winter because of other health issues but I was wondering if I cut down to 100 calories per day will I lose weight within a week or so?

Hi Amanda,

The key to losing weight is to burn more calories than you eat.
A woman your age and weight probably burns close to 2200 calories per day. If you cut back to 1700 or 1800 calories per day you'll lose about a pound a week. That's the way it's supposed to work--gradually.
If you cut down to 100 calories per day you will be starving, using your muscles for your body's energy (a bad thing--you only want to burn fat, and not muscle), your body will start to conserve energy and you won't be able to lose weight easily anymore. And that's on top of becoming malnourished because you can't get the nutrition you need in 100 calories a day.

Look at the site, for instructions, guidelines, and recommendations on a healthy weight loss diet. Other sites, like help you build a healthy weight loss plan and track your progress.

Let me know how it's going!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.