Nutrition & Dieting/gout caused by uric acid purines in legumes

Printed directions on container of dried black beans are to boil beans for 45 minutes before eating. Instead, I soaked and rinsed beans over 16 hr. period until soft. Then boiled for only four minutes before eating, so as not to waste fuel. Gout apparent 6 hrs. later. Will boiling beans a long time before eating destroy gout-producing substances, and prevent gout?

No, I don't believe boiling can destroy the purines present in any food. If the purines were to break down, they would be metabolized to uric acid (as happens in the body), and that is what is causing the gout.
Perhaps you would be able to be prescribed the medication that keeps uric acids levels down (allopurinol).

Good luck!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.