Nutrition & Dieting/avicel

Quite a few years ago avicel, a cellulose-based zero-calorie food additive was developed and showed great promise for dieters, but I have seen no references to it since.  A Google search didn't turn up much.  Do you know why it apparently live up to it's hype?  At this point in my life I could use something like that!   Thank you.

I hadn't heard of it before but I just looked it up. It sounds like a great replacement agent for fats and flour, but I don't see any evidence of it being used in any food as of now. Perhaps it's a matter of food companies testing recipes and tastes with consumers, or the fact that too many consumers are loathe to find another "fake" ingredient in their food.
I'm curious when you say at this point you could use something  like that, what it is you expect from this ingredient? We already have numerous sugar and fat replacers and we haven't yet seen a decline in obesity or the chronic diseases that go along with it!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.