Nutrition & Dieting/fat vs. sugar

What is more important to avoid when trying to lose weight-saturated fa or refined sugar? Low carb diets didnt work for me, but a low fat one has helped a bit more. Since I am eating a lot less meat, I am eating more carbs. Is white bread, potatoes, which I love, realy as bad as refined sugar? Thanks!

Saturated fat is not something to avoid, unless your physician has good reason to strictly forbid it. It is necessary in the body, however not to the extent that most people eat it. Most experts recommend that no more than 10 percent of your calories come from saturated fat. However, refined sugar should be avoided both for fat loss and health.

White bread is absolutely as bad as refined sugar as it contains both refined sugar and refined grains, which are both empty useless calories. As for white potatoes, they are purported to have a higher glycemic index, which means they affect your blood sugar much like simple carbohydrates. However, they are full of fiber at the same time. This means there is contradictory evidence and opinion to the elimination of white potatoes. Red potatoes have a slightly lower glycemic index and have been indicated as a better choice.

I hope this helps. If you would like a personal nutrition plan based on your needs, you are more than welcome to contact me for a session at my website,

Nutrition & Dieting

Laura Ray, BS Nutrition, Certified Wellness Coach

Please only individuals over the age of 18 years. I have no expertise in adolescent nutrition. Also, this is not a forum in which I am able to create an individual or general diet plan. I will answer general questions. I can answer directly to questions regarding the use of nutrition and exercise to weight loss in women particularly as it relates to the following: yo-yo dieting, lifestyle change, hormonal changes, menopause, perimenopause, metabolic disorders, age related fat accumulation, HCG dieting, Dr. Simeon, nutritional changes geared toward health, coaching as it relates to weight loss, finding affordable nutrition plans, why diets do not work, and complete wellness programs.

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition, am certified in Wellness Coaching by Wellcoaches, and live what I teach.

Bachelor of Science Nutrition, Certified in Wellness Coaching