Nutrition & Dieting/gerd and colesteral

laurie,i have diabetes and take blood thinner eliquis.i have heartburn.they recommended turmeric for indigestion.cant find out if it will interfere with my medications including my blood thinner eliquis.maybe you can come up with a natural   for indigestion that does not react with other wife has high colesteral anything you can recommend for here.sorry for the full plate

Hello Howard, and thanks for your question.
Your pharmacist should have a list of drug/nutrient interactions in their manual. Call your drug store any time and they will look this information up for you.

There are some other ideas to try for indigestion: do you stop eating before you are full? Are you a bit overweight? Consider stopping your meal when you are no longer hungry (not because you're stuffed!) and resisting a second helping. Be sure your clothing is not too tight. And don't lie down immediately after eating.

I'm not sure who "they" are, who recommended turmeric. I would say first and foremost see your physician about heartburn symptoms. There are prescriptions for this, but the important thing is to find out the cause. If long-term acid reflux goes untreated it can be permanently damaging to the sure acid reflux is not your diagnosis before you look to over-the-counter treatments.

Good luck and be well!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.