Nutrition & Dieting/Losing 10-12lbs

Question
Hi Lawrence, I have a simple inquiry. You see, I'll be taking a physical education college course for a required credit (it's a power walking class) and I wanted to know if it's possible to lose 10-12lbs in that time-frame? The course will only last one month. I used to be 50lbs over-weight but I got into "Zumba" last year and dropped 40lbs. However, I went off to college and just let the last 10lbs sit, shame on me. Anyway, I'm 5'6" and currently weight aprox. 150lbs. Even though my BMI is healthy, I want to play more to my athletic build; so therefore, I'll be satisfied at 140lbs. Help me get there? Thanks! Oh and I'll be 20yrs next month.

Answer
Hi Cherah my name is Ian and I will be happy to assist you today.

losing 40lbs is a great start and you've gone in the right direction. The last 10lbs are sitting there but can be easily lost.

Nutrition will be the main factor to help you lose that last bit of weight. Think of your meals as three parts; carbs, protein and vegetables. For he carbs I recommend you use mainly sweet potato, brown rice and oatmeal. If you can't find brown rice then you'll have to use white. For protein I recommend skinless lean chicken breast, lean beef, fish, beans. For vegetables I recommend mainly dark leafy greens as these are the most beneficial for your health but that doesn't mean you can't add in some of your favorite vegetables occasionally. I recommend you cook a big batch twice a week so that each batch will last 3 days in the fridge. The best way would be to make each portion the size of one and a half of your fist and you can store them in containers that are microwave safe. Then every 3 or so hours when you feel hungry, pop one in the microwave and enjoy. You can use a little bit of pure olive oil to moisten things up as olive oil is a 'good' fat which help eliminate the bad fats. You should try and eat around 5 of these portions a day but if you feel full on less then that's okay.

As for exercise you should aim for at least 3 sessions a week. Try and mix up a bit of weight training with cardio or some zumba as you like :) Sessions don't have to be too long. The more intense the sessions, the shorter they can be. If you were to do 15-20 really intense exercise then that would cover you 3 times a week. If it's more moderate then stick to your 45-60 minute sessions.

I hope this will help you in some way.

You can also check out my facebook page for diet and nutrition tips as well as motivation which we all need :)

Kimd regards

Ian
www.facebook.com/muzzafitness  

Nutrition & Dieting

Muzza-Fitness