Nutrition & Dieting/Losing 10-12lbs

Hi Lawrence, I have a simple inquiry. You see, I'll be taking a physical education college course for a required credit (it's a power walking class) and I wanted to know if it's possible to lose 10-12lbs in that time-frame? The course will only last one month. I used to be 50lbs over-weight but I got into "Zumba" last year and dropped 40lbs. However, I went off to college and just let the last 10lbs sit, shame on me. Anyway, I'm 5'6" and currently weight aprox. 150lbs. Even though my BMI is healthy, I want to play more to my athletic build; so therefore, I'll be satisfied at 140lbs. Help me get there? Thanks! Oh and I'll be 20yrs next month.

Who's Lawrence? :)

Is it POSSIBLE to lose 10-12 pounds in a month? Sure, if you work real hard. Any tricks or gimmicks you use will most likely just make the weight come right back on again when you stop the tricks. The heavier and more out of shape you are at the start, the faster the weight will come off INITIALLY, but then you'll usually plateau after a few weeks.

Normal, HEALTHY weight loss is a pound or two per week. So in a month of eating right and exercising, expect to lose 4-8 pounds.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions from those who are overweight and want to learn how to lose weight through proper diet and exercise. I spent a year of my life studying weight loss and brought myself from 340 pounds down to a healthy 185 pounds the RIGHT way: no fad diets, pills, or crazy machines - just healthy eating and some moderate exercise. I'm happy to share my knowledge with you. I also have my own web site at

My knowledge is all practical, life experience. I spent over a year reading dozens of books, online literature, magazines, and lots of other sources. I've studied nutrition, weight-lifting, bodybuilding, exercise science, and many other fitness-related fields.

I have no formal education in fitness or nutrition. But, then again, I am a computer programmer and trainer with no formal education in my field either. I'm completely self-taught in everything I do. However, I can give you plenty of tips and pointers on how to safely lose weight.