Nutrition & Dieting/Food confusion!

Lately I've been so confused as to what I should eat. I have to admit that I don't eat too healthy and I want to but it seems like everything has something wrong with it. I drink a lot of milk and I'll hear things about how milk leads to heart problems and such. I'm 5'2 female and 95 lbs. I would appreciate some tips on how to balance myself with food and how to keep full and healthy at the same time. Thanks!

Hi A,

The key is to do the following:

1. Eat as many home prepared foods as possible.
2. Eat 7-11 servings of vegetables that are steamed or lightly sauteed or raw. Minimize the dressing to low fat and low sugar sources.
3. Eat healthy, lean protein with an emphasis on white meat rather than red.
4. Include beans at least 1/2 cup per day for fiber.
5. Use whey protein to supplement if you are not taking in enough protein.
6. Ensure that your fiber from all sources is between 25-35 grams per day by supplementing with heart healthy ground flax seed.
7. Drink plenty of water at a minimum of 6-8 eight ounce glasses.

As far as milk, there really is no physiological or health need for milk if you are eating properly. You can get calcium from vegetable sources in higher amounts depending on the type you eat.

Keep up the good work!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laura Ray, BS Nutrition, Certified Wellness Coach

Please only individuals over the age of 18 years. I have no expertise in adolescent nutrition. Also, this is not a forum in which I am able to create an individual or general diet plan. I will answer general questions. I can answer directly to questions regarding the use of nutrition and exercise to weight loss in women particularly as it relates to the following: yo-yo dieting, lifestyle change, hormonal changes, menopause, perimenopause, metabolic disorders, age related fat accumulation, HCG dieting, Dr. Simeon, nutritional changes geared toward health, coaching as it relates to weight loss, finding affordable nutrition plans, why diets do not work, and complete wellness programs.

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition, am certified in Wellness Coaching by Wellcoaches, and live what I teach.

Bachelor of Science Nutrition, Certified in Wellness Coaching