Nutrition & Dieting/fruit and meal plan

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr.Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD,
Im male,44 years old.My weight is 58 and 6 kg less than standard weight(height 167.5cm).I m not touching sweet,sugar,oliy things and fatty foods.I generally drink fruit juices of various kind.My daily plan is morning tea .after one hour fruit juice or raw fruit.then after one hour breakfast .My doubt is taking fruit daily leads to any problem.what is the recommended limit for this.I m take any one fruit of pinaple,orangeapple,banana,pomogranut,sapporta etc .Im exercising alternate day a simple aerobic followed by 1 kg tumbles for one  and half hour.recently taken blood test for diabetic,cholostrol,thyroid test not found anything wrong.my iron level is low norml .my FERRITIN is  48.15 ng/ml (reference range is Males : 30 - 400 ng/ml). ZINC : 71.6 Microgm/dl (reference range is 70 - 150 Microgm/dl).How to increase my weight and tell me whether this type of eating fruit daily harmful or reduce weight? do i have to increase ferritin since i developed grey hair in recent years
Reg
Kumar

ANSWER: Hello Kumar,
There is nothing at all wrong with eating fruit every day. In the states we recommend up to a total of 9 fruits and vegetables a day (not 9 of each).
You may be underweight because you are going to extremes of avoiding anything with fat and sugar in it. It's one thing to avoid candy and fried food, but if you are undergoing extreme avoidance you are missing out on some major calorie sources. You don't say what you eat the rest of the day, but my guess is you aren't taking in enough calories to maintain a healthy weight.
If you'd like to write back and let me know about the rest of your day.
If your ferritin is normal you don't have to increase it!
Laurie

QUESTION: Dear Dr.Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD,

My meal in the morning tea(5.30am) then fruit juice(7.30am).(due to avoid of teetn decay,I prefer to take juice instead of raw fruit).then breakfast of rice idly,cereal with some vegetable.In the afternoon,I am taking rice,vegetable,cereal,curd.some days i am taking cucumber salad (cucumber,curd,fruit mix) at 11 am. In the evening, a small no of 3 pista,2 badam,3 date fruit taken by 4 pm.at 6 am tea .around 9 or 10 pm dinner has dosai made of rice with some side dish.break fast in some days wheat based stuff(chappatis). Nonveg chicken to be taken during one day per week. I dont know how to calculate calories .

Reg
Kumar

Answer
Hi Kumar,
It may help you to look over this site and see how your diet fits with these recommendations.
http://www.foodpyramid.com/food-pyramids/mediterranean-diet-pyramid/

There may be some way to add more calories (you don't have to count them, but knowing you are adding more food will increase the chances of gaining weight in a healthy way).
It might be by adding some foods in to your diet or it might be by eating larger portions.

I hope this helps!

Laurie

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD