Nutrition & Dieting/curious

Hi there, I was wondering, how does one lower their Blood urine nitrogen (BUN) level? Is there a certain kind of supplement that a person could take, & if so,  is there  a specific kind of supplement that u would recommend? or is there a certain food, or overall diet that would help bring down a person's BUN level? hope u can answer this for me.
         Thank you

Hi Dan,

BUN is a measure of how much urea is in the blood, a breakdown product of protein. It's usually an indicator of kidney function, as the kidneys excrete this waste product. A high BUN usually indicates a decline in kidney function--in this case, a protein-restricted diet is usually prescribed.
It sometimes indicates a bleed in the GI tract, when an excessive amount of protein is being absorbed from the blood in the digestive tract that does not belong there.

There's nothing that can be taken to lower the BUN level--the problem behind the BUN elevation is what has to be addressed.

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.