Nutrition & Dieting/curious

Question
Hi there, I was wondering, how does one lower their Blood urine nitrogen (BUN) level? Is there a certain kind of supplement that a person could take, & if so,  is there  a specific kind of supplement that u would recommend? or is there a certain food, or overall diet that would help bring down a person's BUN level? hope u can answer this for me.
         Thank you

Answer
Hi Dan,

BUN is a measure of how much urea is in the blood, a breakdown product of protein. It's usually an indicator of kidney function, as the kidneys excrete this waste product. A high BUN usually indicates a decline in kidney function--in this case, a protein-restricted diet is usually prescribed.
It sometimes indicates a bleed in the GI tract, when an excessive amount of protein is being absorbed from the blood in the digestive tract that does not belong there.

There's nothing that can be taken to lower the BUN level--the problem behind the BUN elevation is what has to be addressed.

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD