Nutrition & Dieting/hello

Question
Hello tim, just wanted to know are carbs or calories the reason why people gain weight? Cause some people are saying is the carbs and others say is the calories so to be honest I don't know in who to trust, should I count my carbs or my calories if I want to maintain my weight?

Answer
Jairo, if I'm not mistaken this is the same question you asked a few weeks ago. If I'm mistaken though here is the answer regarding your concern.

Neither actually makes you gain weight, but I understand what you're trying to ask.
The thing is carbs and calories are in a sense the same thing. Calories come from carbohydrates.
Everything you eat is one of three macronutrients. Protein, fat and carbohydrate.
Protein and carbohydrates each contain 4 calories per gram. Fat contains 9.
Calories come from these macronutrients so its not like you can say something contains carbs and calories.

When you eat protein, fat and carbs your body breaks the food down. Whatever is able to be used from the food is used and whatever is excess gets stored as fat. Protein is the only macronutrient that doesn't get stored.

Weight gain and loss is about energy balance. Calories are units of energy. When you do anything you use energy and your body's fuel are those calories. If they are stored as glucose from carbs then those get used, once they're used up the body takes the stored fat calories.

So the key is to control your energy balance. Eat less calories than you burn and fat loss will occur.

So in reality what makes you fat is eating more than your body can use in a 24 hour period.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Tim Santoro