Nutrition & Dieting/hi

just wanted to know is eating a lot of fruits can be bad for weight loss or bad health because of the sugar in them?

Hi Jairo,

This would be a good example of " too much of a good thing". Fruits can be a great part of a healthy, balanced diet and provide fiber, vitamins, minerals, and even water.  Some people need to limit fruit servings for health reasons, such as diabetes (when carbs must be restricted) or kidney failure (when potassium must be restricted).
But the normal, healthy body will not be challenged by extra potassium (it will be eliminated through the urine) or extra fiber and fruit sugar.

IF a person is trying to lose weight they'll need to limit their total calorie intake, and fruits do contain calories. Usually it's recommended to opt for the fresh fruit instead of juice, the latter of which lacks fiber and can be quickly consumed in large amounts.

So, your answer depends on a lot of general, 3 to 5 fruits a day would be a good contribution to an ideal diet. Avoiding fruits would be a mistake for many reasons, one of which is enjoying the good taste and texture of a sweet, juicy piece of fruit!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.