Nutrition & Dieting/hi

just wanted to know does carbs or calories make you fat? A lot of people saying carbs and others are saying calories.

Hi Jairo,
Neither actually makes you fat, but I understand what you're trying to ask.
The thing is carbs and calories are in a sense the same thing. Calories come from carbohydrates.
Everything you eat is one of three macronutrients. Protein, fat and carbohydrate.
Protein and carbohydrates each contain 4 calories per gram. Fat contains 9.
Calories come from these macronutrients so its not like you can say something contains carbs and calories.

When you eat protein, fat and carbs your body breaks the food down. Whatever is able to be used from the food is used and whatever is excess gets stored as fat. Protein is the only macronutrient that doesn't get stored.

Weight gain and loss is about energy balance. Calories are units of energy. When you do anything you use energy and your body's fuel are those calories. If they are stored as glucose from carbs then those get used, once they're used up the body takes the stored fat calories.

So the key is to control your energy balance. Eat less calories than you burn and fat loss will occur.

So in reality what makes you fat is eating more than your body can use in a 24 hour period.

I realize this answer was somewhat involved but I wanted to make sure you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Nutrition & Dieting

Tim Santoro

I can answer questions regarding the following. Confusion about basic nutrition, explain how to improve diet, when and how to eat better, eating for weight loss, eating for health, eating for fitness. I will answer questions about nutritional and workout supplements. I will not endorse any fad diets, however I can explain the draw backs to them and explain why they are the wrong way to go. I will not give advice relating to medications and/or their interactions with food and supplements.

I have earned certifications in Fitness Training and Fitness Nutrition from ISSA. I also self taught and stay current on the fitness industry. I lost 70 pounds training my self.

SFN- Specialist in Fitness Nutrition from ISSA CFT-n Certified Fitness Trainer from ISSA

Just the thank you from people I get to help.