Nutrition & Dieting/Excess Body Fat

Question
Hello Ms. Ray,

I really hope you can answer my question. First, here are some basic facts about me. I am a 22 year old female, weighing at 200 lbs. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which makes it harder for me to lose weight. But I am now committed to living healthy by dieting and exercising. My concern is excess body fat. Is that a definite factor when I lose weight. I am scared I will have loose skin in the arms and belly area. Can I prevent that from happening? I was under the assumption that it only happens if you lose weight too fast. Thank you.

Answer
Caroline,

When we lose weight we either lose fat, muscle mass, or water weight. The hope is that when we are committed to healthy diets and exercise, we will lose fat and excess water while gaining muscle. So, yes, losing body fat is a factor in effective diet and exercise changes.

As far a having excess skin afterwards, there is a great chance that will happen. There are some ways to possibly impede it. As you stated, fast weight loss will likely create loose skin. That means that slow, effective weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week might impede it. Also, increasing muscle mass could help to impede it. Further, good skin care such as exfoliation, hydration, and moisturizing will help the skin to get more blood to it and stay supple. The mechanism for these techniques to get more blood to the skin is through the massage that comes with effective exfoliation and moisturizing.

However, I cannot say if you definitely will have loose skin or not. But, you are very young and your skin will likely recover much faster than someone in the 40s. In any case, get healthy, eat right, and exercise because your whole body will benefit from it. Don't let the possibility of loose skin stop your health gains.

I hope this helps.
Laura

Nutrition & Dieting

Laura Ray, BS Nutrition, Certified Wellness Coach