Nutrition & Dieting/Increasing or maintaining metabolism going all day.

Dear Rost,
My name is Luis--18 year old college freshman who is physically active at a minimum of 3 times a week wight both weight lifting and cardiac exercises--and my questions are does a higher/faster metabolism mean more fat burn? If so, how can I keep it working all day? How can I make it faster? Does eating 6 small meals a day help keep it going all day? If so, what do you suggest those small meals should be?
Thanks you so much for your time on answering these questions.

The BEST thing you can do to keep your metabolism high is BUILD MUSCLE. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so the more muscle you have the more calories you burn EVEN AT REST.

Meal timing is a minor effect. The most important thing is to take in fewer calories than you burn each day. Multiple smaller meals per day is something you can try to break a plateau after your weight loss stops. Focus mostly on the QUALITY and QUANTITY of the food you eat every day.

See my web site for specific diet and exercise plans.

Richard Rost  

Nutrition & Dieting

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions from those who are overweight and want to learn how to lose weight through proper diet and exercise. I spent a year of my life studying weight loss and brought myself from 340 pounds down to a healthy 185 pounds the RIGHT way: no fad diets, pills, or crazy machines - just healthy eating and some moderate exercise. I'm happy to share my knowledge with you. I also have my own web site at

My knowledge is all practical, life experience. I spent over a year reading dozens of books, online literature, magazines, and lots of other sources. I've studied nutrition, weight-lifting, bodybuilding, exercise science, and many other fitness-related fields.

I have no formal education in fitness or nutrition. But, then again, I am a computer programmer and trainer with no formal education in my field either. I'm completely self-taught in everything I do. However, I can give you plenty of tips and pointers on how to safely lose weight.