Nutrition & Dieting/Anti-oxidants

Question
Know of any good diets for clearing the mind and cleansing the body? I feel like crap most of the time and just don't feel like any amount of jogging or walking helps me find peace. I am assuming that anti-oxidants in great varieties would be key?

Answer
Hi James,

What is your current diet like? Are you eating a lot of processed foods, sugars, things like that? Could be the reason you feel like crap.
Those types of foods can make you feel heavy, not even talking about weight gain but just a downed feeling.

If that is the case then you can defiantly benefit from a cleansing. Now I never endorse any of that all liquid diet detox crap. But you can introduce certain foods into your diet.
Dark greens are great.

Try this first thing in the morning. Make a green drink. Mix spinach, cucumber, pineapple, lemon, and your favorite berries. Blend it all up or if you have a juicer use that.
Try drinking one of these a day for 5-7 days and see how you feel.

The other thing you can do is make sure to avoid or eliminate a lot of packaged food or fast food.
Stick with complex carbs like fruits, vegetables, brown rice, whole wheat bread/pasta, sweet potato.

Eat only lean sources of protein, grilled poultry, lean 80/20 of less beef, fish,

Get in around 50 grams a day of healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Great sources are olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, nuts, fish, natural peanut butter.

Remember sugar and modified/trans fats are the enemy.
Check food labels, anything that ends in OSE is sugar and anything that says MODIFIED or HYDROGINATED is an unhealthy fat.
A food label can say sugar free, fat free, or no trans
fat yet still contain them. The FDA allows ingredients under a certain amount to be listed as zero on a food label.

Also try to drink at least 1/2 a gallon of water throughout the day. If you're like me I drink all day long, likely over a gallon.
If you're not a big drinker look to foods rich in water like green leafy vegetables and fruits.

Finally look into a good multivitamin supplement. Take it per the label with food.

Feel free to contact me though with more concerns or to question anything you may be unsure about eating.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Tim Santoro