Nutrition & Dieting/Diet

I am male, 5"9, 34, 190 lbs and started boot camp 3 weeks ago, and will finish at the end of this month.  I will then do my own boot camp with cardio and weights at home.  I am trying to follow a diet plan from I have absolutely no problem adhering to a strict diet plan, except for the fact that I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY 30 min to one hour after eating.  I eat every 4 hours.  I am eating only healthy fats such as avocado, nuts, seeds, fish but I'm not even coming close to feeling full.  I eat a lot of chicken breast and extra lean ground beef.  Below is an example of my breakfast.

2 biscuits (100% whole wheat)
1 cup skim milk
1 cup beans
1 banana
1 tbs flax oil

You can't tell me that the 1 tbs of flax oil is supposed to keep me full for 4 hours!

I think I need to eat more saturated fats.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Hello SK,
Congratulations on your enthusiasm for a new and healthier lifestyle!

Here are my thoughts on your hunger:

1) people say 'hungry' meaning different things. There's stomach growling hunger, and then there's "I sure would like something to eat" hunger (also known as appetite). You are probably eating less than you were used to, and focusing more on what you're eating, when you're eating, etc. You might  consider finding a distraction to keep your mind away from food until its time to eat again.

2) then again, you are trying to lose weight, I'm assuming, and you are working out a lot more than usual (I'm assuming again). So it stands to reason you'll be physically hungry!  Your body is saying, "hey! I can't do all this work on less food!" Right?

3) in the words of Dr. Judith Beck (author of the Beck diet solution), Hunger is not an emergency!  Yes, you and your body would love to eat some more. But you'll both get over it! Move along and know you won't faint or writhe from the discomfort. Soon, you will train your brain to expect the new feeding schedule and it will get easier.
And you'll lose the weight you want and be in great shape!

Remember to focus on your goals when the going gets tough. You can survive hunger pangs if you can survive boot camp!

And I want to clarify, while more food and more fat will be more likely to satisfy you, there isn't any reason to think that saturated fat is more filling than healthy unsaturated fats.

Keep up the good work, and let me know how it goes.

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.