Nutrition & Dieting/Homemade Vitamin Water.

Question
I was wondering if there was any good way to add vitamins into water as that they would be affective, but never overdose the person no matter how much they drink? I personally can only drink so much of the brand name vitamin water without thinking about the artifical colors and flavors. But I'd like to be able to be taking vitamins every time I consume large amounts of water through the day. Preferably without noticable flavor.

Answer
Hi James,
It's probably not possible to gauge how much to put in a beverage so that you can't overdose no matter how much you drink.
After a certain amount, even while it may not be harmful, your body just can't use any more of some water soluble vitamins so it excretes the extra in urine. You might notice after having something fortified with vitamins (like some breakfast cereals) you urine is almost a bright yellow--that is from the presence of B vitamins.
And you really don't have to add vitamins to make water healthy. There are all sorts of nutrients in beverages that occur naturally. Orange Juice provides vitamin C, and tea can provide antioxidants, for example. Think about just adding a splash of juice to flavor your water, or drink tea some of the time. There are over a hundred varieties of herbal teas and they can be enjoyed iced as well as hot.
With a balanced diet you can get all the vitamins you need from your food, so there's really no reason to consume extra in an artificially-fortified water.
But extra water....it's hard to go wrong with just drinking plain water!

Laurie

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD