Nutrition & Dieting/Side effects of being overweight and motivation to eat healthy food

Hello. I have a two part question for you.

A little about me, the asker: I am a 30 year old male. I have a good exercise routine started. I do aerobic exercise around 5 days a week (walking, basketball, etc.) and strength training 3 days a week (push-ups, sit-ups, resistance bands, free weights etc.) I am around 40 pounds overweight and am looking to change that. Now to the questions:

1. What are some of the side effects of being overweight?

2. My biggest problem is eating healthy. I honestly enjoy fast food, sweets, cokes, etc. I need some motivation to push those to the side in favor of a healthier diet. Would you have any advice or motivation to offer?

I can't give you motivation. You have to find it yourself. Being overweight means you're shortening your life span AND living a lower quality of life than if you were fit. I could give you a million reasons why you should lose weight... but you need to find the ONE REASON that matters to you.

See my web site for specific diet and exercise plans.

Richard Rost

Nutrition & Dieting

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions from those who are overweight and want to learn how to lose weight through proper diet and exercise. I spent a year of my life studying weight loss and brought myself from 340 pounds down to a healthy 185 pounds the RIGHT way: no fad diets, pills, or crazy machines - just healthy eating and some moderate exercise. I'm happy to share my knowledge with you. I also have my own web site at

My knowledge is all practical, life experience. I spent over a year reading dozens of books, online literature, magazines, and lots of other sources. I've studied nutrition, weight-lifting, bodybuilding, exercise science, and many other fitness-related fields.

I have no formal education in fitness or nutrition. But, then again, I am a computer programmer and trainer with no formal education in my field either. I'm completely self-taught in everything I do. However, I can give you plenty of tips and pointers on how to safely lose weight.