Nutrition & Dieting/losing weight

i have a question for you dr. beebe.  how do you lose weight when you are bloated after eating meals and take beta blockers for high blood pressure that can slow down metabolism.

my blood pressure meds are:

height: 6'
weight: 354 pounds
ldl: 121 mg/dl
glucose: 86 mg/dl
tsh: 2.010 uIU/mL

Hi Christopher,

I'm not sure my answer for "how to lose weight" will be any different whether you are on these meds and bloated after meals. The same principles seem to work no matter what the core issue is.

Regarding bloating after meals, this can happen from eating too much, eating too fast, and possibly drinking too much fluid with a meal. Try slowing down and eating half as much. Stop before you're full. You can always go back to get more later!

The best starting point is to keep a food diary. You can do this with a sheet of paper, a notebook, or many sites online that help you track your intake (,,,
This lets you see exactly what you are eating, how much, and when. By becoming aware of your behavior you can see what changes need to be addressed.

Then, the first things to cut out of your diet are what are known as "empty calories". Drinking alcohol, sugary beverages, or even fruit juices can add hundreds of calories per day to your diet with no benefit--no nutrition, and no feeling of fullness.

Then take a look at foods with added sugars and fats (so-called "junk foods") like candy, ice cream, pastries and fried foods, as well as fat you put on your food (butter, mayonnaise, sour cream).

If you can limit these foods you can start losing weight without having to go on a diet, measuring portions and pre-planning all your meals. Many people can easily cut out enough calories by stopping those extras, and then they can enjoy a great breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even a healthy light snack!

Let me know what happens and any help I can provide along the way :)

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.