Nutrition & Dieting/Salmon

I love salmon and have started eating it every day for lunch in sandwiches and salads. But my friend says it is bad for me to eat so much of it and it could be harmful? I reckon i have about 100g per day. Is this ok?

Thank you!

ANSWER: There are a few reasons this isn't a great idea. First, it means you are lacking variety in your diet. If you're eating salmon every day you're getting the identical nutrients from that food. You're missing what you'd be getting if you alternated with other protein sources for lunch.
There is also concern that small levels of mercury in seafood can build up if you eat it every day.
If you really like salmon, consider having it 3 or 4 days a week instead of 7!

QUESTION: Thank you for such a rapid response! Can you suggest some good alternative forms of protein for me to eat at lunchtime? I don't eat meat, only fish, and I don't like cheese so I find it hard to think of things.

You might find some good ideas on vegetarian blogs and websites. Tuna salad, egg salad, peanut butter and jelly, fruit and yogurt or cottage cheese, rice and beans, bean burrito, tofu or soy meat substitutes ( like veggie burgers) come to mind.
Anything you would eat for breakfast or dinner, consider having for lunch (ie, leftover pizza, pasta, baked fish with veggies)

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.