Nutrition & Dieting/Fibre intake.

Question
Hi.

I suffer badly from piles but also have eczema when eating wheat products so find it real tough to juggle the problem of effective fibre intake whilst maintaining good looking skin. My question is what are the best foods for high fibre that don't contain wheat and can i expect to recover from my piles by gaining my fibre from just these foods and avoiding wheat?

Answer
Hi James,

I can't say whether fibre will cure the piles, but it sure is good for regularity and lots of other reasons.
Fibre is found in many fruits, nuts and vegetables, too.
Drinking plenty of water (6-8 cups a day) also helps your stools from becoming hard and dry.

Oat fibre may work for you. You can actually pulverize oats in a food processor to make flour, and then use that to bake muffins or cookies.
Oatmeal is good, as well as oat cereals like Cheerios.

Another very good source is Metamucil. It's fiber from psyllium, a plant. You buy this in a pharmacy, over the counter (no prescription needed). It's a powder you mix into water or other beverages. Start with one serving a day and work your way up to 2 or 3.

Increasing your fiber intake too quickly may cause gas and bloating, so don't try all these suggestions at once!

Laurie

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD