Nutrition & Dieting/need to lose weight

Question
hi dr. beebe, im in a situation where i need to lose weight for my health.  i have high blood pressure, weigh 350 pounds, and have high cholesterol. recently i have run into a weight loss plateau and i cant get out of it.  i also take lisinopril and ziac too. insulin resistance may be a factor too in all this. what is the best way to lose weight for this and what kind of exercise and supplements cant i take.

weight 350 pounds
height 6'
age 40
latest blood pressure is 164/106 pulse 54
ldl cholesterol 121

Answer
Christopher,
I highly recommend you find a dietitian in your area to work with you.
There are no short and simple answers to weight loss.
A lot of advice I have to give depends on your lifestyle, preferences, and what works for you. I often work with individuals for 30 minutes a week for support, recommendations, and tweaking whatever isn't working.

So, being that I don't know anything about you, here are a few things to try that work for some people:

Take it slow and easy and don't try to change everything at once or go on a low calorie diet that will leave you frustrated and hungry.

Do without all the sweets you can, including soda, candy, cakes, and sweetened teas, lemonade, etc. spend your calories on filling foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and fat free dairy products.

Keep a food diary. It makes you think twice before you eat, and sometimes allows you to take another look and decide "I don't need to eat this".

Lots of people do well with the Beck Diet Solution, which helps you train your brain to eat healthier and be more active.

A good site with a lot of good info, including menus and recipes, is http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
This eating plan is especially good for lowering blood pressure.

Good luck, and keep me in mind for any questions as you move towards your goal!
Laurie

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD