Nutrition & Dieting/Yeast?

Question
Marissa
I am male, 55. I have always suffered frpom a big bloated belly, although I am not obese. My doctor says I do not have IBS, celiac, thyroid, or ither disorders-he thonks its central obesity.
I have recently started avoiding foods that contain yeast, especially bread and beer. This was tough as they were my favorite foods.
After a week, my belly was a lot 'softer', and the constant sneezing and runny nose that I have always had were diminishing. I had a minor crisis in my life a couple days ago, and went back to the comfort foods of pizza, beer, etc. My bloating and runny nose is back.
Do you think that yeast is in fact the problem? There seems to be two sides. Some say its quackery-that the yeast in foods is actually dead.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Hello!

Yes, I think that it could very well be the yeast that could be causing the reactions you've experienced. What you've done is perform an elimination experiment by removing the foods that could be the culprit. When you added them back in and experienced the negative reactions again, that's a sure sign of an allergy or sensitivity. I'd be curious to know if other foods that contain yeast like wine and vinegars are also causing the same reaction. If not, I'd be inclined to think that you could have a gluten sensitivity. Food sensitivities often won't show up on blood tests and some doctors won't give them much attention but they are very real, as you've experienced first-hand. I hope this is helpful and wish you luck in further exploration.

In good health,
Marissa

Nutrition & Dieting

Marissa Vicario