Nutrition & Dieting/calorie intake

Question
Hello, I'm a 17 year old girl. I weight 40kg and I'm about 147cm in height (I think I'm short due to genetics as both my parents are short).

Anyway recently out of curiosity, I began recording my calorie intake. According to an online source I should be getting around 1800 calories per day. However I realised my average intake was only around 1000. I was wondering if this is in any way negative for my health? I think it's just natural for me but I'd like your advice.

Thanks

Answer
Dear Nicole,
If your calorie intake is keeping your weight stable then it's a good level of intake for you.

My suspicion is you are probably taking a bit more than that for your age and size, perhaps 1400-1500 calories per day. We can tend to underestimate portions and forget about little bites we take during the day.

If you really are eating just 1000 calories, it's difficult to get your nutrients in that small amount of food.  Check out www.myplate.gov for recommended amounts from each food group. Do you consume protein, dairy, fruits and vegetables? If you're getting a balanced diet, a variety of food, and not losing weight, there's probably no reason for any concern.

Good luck!
Laurie

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD