Nutrition & Dieting/Glycemic Index whole wheat bread

Hi I just started making my own bread, how would I find out what the Glycemic Index value would be? and how much of it I could eat of it per day? Male 260 lbs.
3 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 teaspoons of sugar
1.5 teaspoons of salt
1.5 teaspoons of butter
1.25 cups water
2 teaspoons of yeast

Hi Darren,
Here is a reference for glycemic index of foods
It would be between 50 and 70. You can't really take individual ingredients and average the GI. It is affected by what else you're eating. So if you have the bread with a spread or a meal, the number is moot.
I don't put any credence to using GI in diets because every individual is different. I have some patients  who eat ice cream with no rise in blood sugar, and then have their glucose level spike from pretzels, and others who have the exact opposite happen. It's the same with feelings of fullness....everyone reacts differently to the same foods in the same amounts. The best idea is to find what works best for you!

The amount of bread you can have a day depends on what else you eat and what calorie level you're aiming for. Even if you have room in your daily diet for 8 starch servings, you should include a variety of starches, so you wouldn't want to have 8 slices of bread! I would think 4 a day would be the most you could reasonably include and still have a healthy, well-balanced and moderate diet.

Be Well,

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.