Nutrition & Dieting/Losing weight in the outer thing area specifically?

I am a 17 year old female and could be described as having a "pear shaped" body type. I am quite muscled from a lifetime of sports, but have accumulated some unwanted muscle/bit a fat around my outer thigh/hip region. I was wanting to know if there are any exercises I could do that would lean out this muscle or cause me to lose the unwanted body weight there. Also, are there any exercises that will work odut the back of the leg hamstring region? What diet choices should I be making? I would ultimately love to lose 15 lbs, being 5'3 and 130 lbs I think I am a bit overweight or at least on the heavier side of a thinner bmi. Any tips for losing weight generally? Thank you so very much! I appreciate all of your time and value your response!

Hi Kaitlin,
Unfortunately there is no way to do "spot reducing" or losing weight in a specific area or body part. Everyone's body gains weight in different places and different orders.
Wherever you gained it last, though, is the first place it will come off!

I'm not an exercise expert, especially when it comes to specific body areas like the hamstrings, so I cannot address your question about that.

In general for weight loss, cut out the empty calorie foods first: cut down or eliminate sweets, desserts, soda (unless it's diet), fats and other foods that don't provide dense nutrition. Be sure to consume fruits, vegetables, lean meats, low fat dairy, and whole grains. Don't cut out bread or milk, for instance, if you're finding room for cake and ice cream! is a website with lots of tools to guide you through a healthy weight loss plan!
Let me know how you're doing!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.