Nutrition & Dieting/Starting a fresh diet

Hello. My name is Sean and I am 21 years old. I'm Looking to start a new workout program and along with that I need a good diet. I'm already physically fit, measuring at 5'7 and 165 lbs. My goal is to reach anything between 175-185 lbs. I want to build muscle, little or no fat, while I can still be able to move quick, be agile, conditioned, and versatile because I'm training for mma and soccer. Also, of course I want to eat clean but I want to avoid foods that will cause breakouts because I do have sensitive skin. What should my diet consist of? How should I plan my meals through out the day? Any helpful supplements you might suggest?

Sean, first of all my sincere apology for the delay. Long story short I had an unexpected personal issue to attend to and had no access to a computer. Again I am sorry for the wait and appreciate your patience.

For your diet you should aim to eat about 6 meals a day, figure a meal every 3 hours. Eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up every day. You should never skip meals.

Start off keeping your carbs and protein on a 1-1 ratio. Fat should be on a .5 ratio. So if you weigh 180 eat 180 grams of protein and carbs, and 90 grams fat. Make sense? I realize you don't weigh 180, I was just using it as an example.

Avoid all simple and processed carbs like white flour, sugar, white rice. Stick with complex starchy carbs like whole wheat breads/pasta, brown rice, quinoa, oats, sweet potato. And fibrous carbs like broccoli, spinach, asparagus, kale.

for your workouts you want to lift heavy in the 10-12 rep range to build muscle.
Pick a weight that will cause you to fail at 12 reps. For a more complex plan I strongly recommend Jim Stoppani's Shortcut To Size that you can find for free on
Jim is the foremost expert on fitness. This plan also comes with a custom made diet. The best part is it is free.

As for supplements you defiantly want to use a whey protein pre and post workout. Aim for 25 grams pre workout and 30-40 grams post. For post workout a Whey/Casein blend is the best choice. I personally recommend Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Standard Whey. I like it because is its primary source is whey isolate (90% protein by weight) and it is well priced. A 2 lb tub will run you 27-30 dollars.  
Also incorporate creatine into your supplement regimen. Creatine monohydrate is a proven supplement. You can take 5 grams post workout. Another option though more expensive is creatine HCL. It can be taken in 2 gram doses. The best monohydrate for your money is German made Creapure.
Other supplements you may want to include are a multivitamin and fish oil. take a dose of multi with breakfast and dinner with a fish oil.

Keep in mind that if you are training for MMA you want to be lean over bulky. Go online and compare some fighters that are your height to see what they weigh.

I hope this helps out and again, I am sorry about the wait. If you need more help feel free to get back in touch.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Tim Santoro

I can answer questions regarding the following. Confusion about basic nutrition, explain how to improve diet, when and how to eat better, eating for weight loss, eating for health, eating for fitness. I will answer questions about nutritional and workout supplements. I will not endorse any fad diets, however I can explain the draw backs to them and explain why they are the wrong way to go. I will not give advice relating to medications and/or their interactions with food and supplements.

I have earned certifications in Fitness Training and Fitness Nutrition from ISSA. I also self taught and stay current on the fitness industry. I lost 70 pounds training my self.

SFN- Specialist in Fitness Nutrition from ISSA CFT-n Certified Fitness Trainer from ISSA

Just the thank you from people I get to help.