Nutrition & Dieting/the truth about Earth Balance

I was wondering what you could tell me about Earth Balance spread? Is it really is a legitmately healthier alternative to butter, or is it basically the same as margarine? The labels seem too good to be true...... it claims to be entirely organic and unprocessed (unlike margarine, which is heavily hydrogenated), with only cold/expeller-pressed oils and no GMO ingredients. I am trying to avoid butter not because I'm scared of fat (I am 5"2 and have weighed 90 pounds since I was a teenager) but because dairy products supposedly cause premature skin aging. As much as I enjoy olive oil, I frequently miss butter in baked potatoes, and want to achieve the taste of butter without consuming dairy, which can do all kinds of bad things in your body.

I've checked out the Earth Balance website and it seems to be entirely reputable.
Healthier than butter because it has no cholesterol. It does seem to have a bit more fat than a typical margarine product (compared to Promise, for example, which also has no trans fats).

I would question the information you read regarding dairy products causing premature aging. I have never heard this before and I suspect if there are any articles about it they were promoted by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment for Animals) which is a group that finds reasons not to eat or use animal products.

A tablespoon of butter on your baked potato will provide very little in the way of actual dairy ingredients. And if, in fact, you are avoiding dairy products, be sure you are finding a way to get the valuable nutrients--including protein, calcium, Vitamin D and riboflavin--that dairy provides.

Be Well!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.