Nutrition & Dieting/Losing Weight

Hi,  I have working on losing weight for almost 3 months now.  I have lost a total of 22 pounds so far.  Been exercising by walking on my treadmill by starting out walking 20 mins a day everyday and I am up to 45 mins a day.  Eating healthier.  Here in the last couple of days I added the healthrider to my exercises only doing about 15 mins starting out a day.  I have hit a plateau and can't seem to get out of it, its been this way for over 2 weeks.  How can I get out of this.  I know it takes time to lose weight but I keep going back and forth losing 1 pound gaining 1 pound.  Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hey, 22 pounds in 3 months is great. Congrats. Plateaus are NORMAL. You'll do great for a while and then hit a brick wall. The key is to mix things up. You didn't mention any STRENGTH TRAINING in your routine. You NEED to add weight lifting exercises. They are then best thing for burning fat. Cardio will only get you so far. Also, don't be a slave to the scale! Remember, as you get healthier you're BURNING FAT and BUILDING MUSCLE. So you might lose a pound of fat in a week, and then gain a pound of muscle. The scale doesn't move, but you're in MUCH better shape. How your clothes fit is a much better indicator of your health than the scale.

Nutrition & Dieting

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions from those who are overweight and want to learn how to lose weight through proper diet and exercise. I spent a year of my life studying weight loss and brought myself from 340 pounds down to a healthy 185 pounds the RIGHT way: no fad diets, pills, or crazy machines - just healthy eating and some moderate exercise. I'm happy to share my knowledge with you. I also have my own web site at

My knowledge is all practical, life experience. I spent over a year reading dozens of books, online literature, magazines, and lots of other sources. I've studied nutrition, weight-lifting, bodybuilding, exercise science, and many other fitness-related fields.

I have no formal education in fitness or nutrition. But, then again, I am a computer programmer and trainer with no formal education in my field either. I'm completely self-taught in everything I do. However, I can give you plenty of tips and pointers on how to safely lose weight.